Tuesday, June 14, 2016

PCH camping

I took a good long morning walk before checking out of my Venice Beach Hostel and heading to Deus Ex Machina for one final coffee and hitting the PCH north. 

I rode through Malibu, Santa Barbra, Lompoc, and San Luis Obispo without much fanfare. I stuck as close to the ocean as possible on the 101 (or 1, depending on where). I did have trouble paying for gas using a 50$ bill I had hidden in one of my "secret travel spots." I had no troubles using it down the road, despite the disgruntled and rather rude cashier who rejected my perfectly legal tender. 

Other than that one hiccup, I was starting to wonder why, exactly, all these people had told me this ride was beautiful. Sure there were hills, some ocean, beachy towns, but nothing particularly spectacular. Had I become numb to beauty? I'd seen so many things up to this point, both on this trip, and in previous ones. Maybe I should have taken highway 33 through the Lost Padres National Forest as recommended to me by another rider from DEM. 

I'm not sure exactly when the landscape changed. At some point I released a long-held breath; I'd hit curves again!  The ride up to Plaskett Creek (where I spent the night) was amazing! The sun was setting off the coast, and the road was a squiggly line set out before me. I pulled into a motel lot just off the highway to inquire about accommodation. 200$/night was the cheapest she could offer me! Thank-goddess I had my tent, as just up the road was a campground. It was full.


I pulled into the campground anyway. Denis, whom I initially mistook for the campground host, indicated that it was just him on his site, and that my bike would easily fit in next to his. I pitched my tent on the grassy area behind his campervan. 

The slightly slanted ground, coupled with my nylon sleeping bag and my slipperyish mat, meant I woke up the next morning culled in a ball by the tent door. Not the most comfortable wake up I've had.

Oh, and while I was packing up, I got harassed by this bluejay!
I packed up quickly ready to hit the road ASAP. One of the women at a nearby campsite was cleaning out her sleeping bag and getting her dog into the car to go to town for some medicine. Apparently her pooch was sick. Unfortunately, she didn't follow the "left loop only" road-sign arrows, and attempted a right turn out of her site, promptly hitting a massive boulder which clearly did not improve her morning. I helped her maneuver the car around the boulder which had relocated itself partially under her car and closer to the middle of the road. 

Denis woke up and made me coffee as he'd promised the night prior. We had a good chat before I hit to road on my way to SF!
Rode out through this in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment