Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Castro


May 26th I got up early to drop my motorbike at Dani's while I attended her Castro Tour and then wandered around Castro and Mission districts. On my way from her place to the tour start in Castro, I stopped off at a random cafe where I discovered PHIL&SEBASTIAN COFFEE! It was a taste from home. Wild Craft Coffee also serves goats milk instead of soy, and I regret not giving it a shot (no pun intended).  The woman who runs this business was also a joy to talk to! 

We convened for the tour under the giant rainbow flag at the corner of Castro and Market. The group was about 15 people, and we walked around the district with Dani as our guide. I seriously believe that it is important to expose yourself to people and places that are new to you. This is how we learn and gain empathy and understanding of those that don't look, speak or act like us. Hearing about the struggles and victories of the people from this community over the last 60 years was an informative experience for me. I like to think that I'm open minded, and I question myself in situations that make me feel uncomfortable. I hope experiences such as this increase the realm of my comfort and how to speak to and treat people that aren't like me. 

After the tour we grabbed Hot Cookies and headed for lunch at Indian Eatery. Then a group of us wandered off towards the Misson District. This is when I get antsy. I'm used to being in control, alone, stopping and going as and where I feel; I'm not good at just going along for the ride in a group (at least when I'm travelling). I stuck with the group for awhile, but knowing that I had to ride out across the Golden Gate Bridge and find a place to sleep that afternoon, while still having places to explore in SF, made me anxious and I split from the group (though we ended up walking the same street - awkward!). I hit up the Mission District (read: shopped) and Good Vibrations before heading back to Dani's to pick up my bike.

After a short trip back to the Adelaide Hostel to pick up my sarong, I hit the road north across the Golden Gate Bridge! (Imagine lane-splitting on that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment