Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Oregon

May 29th I was up for my included breakfast and on the road early in the morning. It was nice to not have a tent and gear to pack up. I hit the Oregon boarder pretty quickly where I stopped to take my usual Instagram photo.

In southern Oregon I rode past some really cool sand dunes, the kind I remember hiking in France. I was intrigued by Dune City and rode in to check it out. I didn't really find anything, so I set up shop on a picknic table next to the boatlaunch adjacent to the Westlake Resort. I had Annies. It was nothing special.

I continued up the road to Seal Rock where I pulled in for a pit stop and a wander out to see the ocean.  Up the road in Lincoln City where I jacked a MacDonald's wifi in an attempt to make contact with friends who knew the area in search of a place to stay. Without much luck, I followed my usual hair-brained plan and kept going. I turned off highway 101 towards Pacific City where I pulled into the Inn at Cape Kawanda (and the Campground behind it). Unfortunately they were all booked up, but the woman manning the campground mentioned that there were at least 3 more campgrounds to the north, so I decided to venture on. I bought myself dinner and a tall can of Budlight Lime fromt he market place for when I did find a place to settle.

Fifteen miles further along the 3 Capes Highway, I pulled into a Cape Lookout State Park despite their "Campground Full" sign. The sun was going down, I was tired from a long day riding, and I was getting worried. The ranger at the booth was extrememly helpful, he mentioned a group of campers that were supposed to change sites that day; he just had to check to see if their site was available and told me to return in 15 minutes. He implied that he'd sort me out regardless, so I pulled to the side and waited. I got the LAST SPOT in my friend's favourite camp ground ON MEMORIAL DAY LONG WEEKEND! If felt like a miracle. I pitched my tent made dinner and enjoyed that beer on the beach in front of a wonderful sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment