Friday, May 20, 2016

Adventure!

990 Soon after leaving Moab Friday morning, it became apparent to me that the decision to split from the government has for a few days was a good one for me. I didn't feel pressure to keep up with them on the big highways, and I was free to take the back roads that have proven to be more scenic and bike friendly. I felt free again!

I stopped for coffee in Monticello and met Dylan, a guy waiting for his car to be fixed so he'd make and interview. I got lube for my chain! Apparently I should have been doing this every day, not just after riding though rain and snow.

I cut West towards central Utah just after Blanding where I didn't get gas like I normally do in every town I go to. At Bridges National Monument I checked in at the visitors centre and discovered this was a bad thing. I had about 50-60 km left in my tank (without tapping the reserve) and about 50 miles to the nearest town. Oops. The road looped through the monument for 9 miles, I decided on a hike with views out to 2 of the bridges.  Starting from a point on the drive loop downstream of where I planned to come out of the canyon meant I cut about a mile off my loop hike by hitchhiking back to my bike. This was a great idea as I met a group of guys from a local university and didn't have to hike though the unshaded top portion of the canyon. The hike itself was a steep decline to the canyon floor then about 2 hours walk through the canyon before a steep climb back to the road.  The scenery was lovely and the hike was a good way to clear my head.

I got back to the visitor's centre in time to do some errands. I talked to a couple getting water about my gas situation and they offered to tip me up if needed; however, the ranger's station had an emergency supply they could give me. Nevertheless, the couple, Susan and Mike, were lovely to talk to. They had quit their jobs and we're living in their motor home for the foreseeable future with lots of destinations in mind. I think they were spending about a month in the area I was just passing through. Before we parted ways, Mike handed me a beer which I enjoyed later that night, as he suggested, after setup up my campsite. It was warm, but supremely satisfying!

One of the rangers had suggested a BLM (aka free!) camping area just outside of the park. I made my way up the dirt Road (I am slowly getting more comfortable on these, though I nearly dumped my bike ridding into the KOA here in Bryce tonight) until I got fed up with myself and just picked a spot. It was beautiful, exposed but with a great view of the valley and the national monument I'd been in earlier that day. It was quite windy when I arrived, but that died down over night.

As I was making dinner, a man from the campsite below mine began a walk and came over to talk to me about my bike. Mike rode when he was younger, and now has just a 200cc dual purpose for putzing around. I made dinner while Mike was on his walk.  Annie's with some buffalo sausage I'd picked up at Chile's in Moab. I then followed Mike's footsteps, and headed up the hill behind my site to get an overlook of the valley and drink the beer Susan and Mike (other mike) had given me. At the top I was halfway thought my beer when I noticed the Surveyor General's monument in front of me! Something I may have noticed but not really cared about before Kent started geomatics.

When I got back from my walk (and nearly being lost in  the woods and seeing many different animal prints) Mike had gathered wood and we were ready for a fire! (once the sun set)

No comments:

Post a Comment