Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Arrival in Colorado

Day 4 started slowly as I put off leaving into the cold rain for as long as possible. Griffin made eggs while I dried all my clothes by their beautiful fire place (and my shoes in their dryer, mucho thanks for that!). I got ziplock bags for my hands and feet which I'm convinced saved me. I continued South towards Muddy Pass, dreading it all along because of the cold rain a d the elevation of that pass. In Walden I filled up tank as a stranger on a BMW rode by. He waved. I had planned to grab a coffee there but when  the best recommendation I could get was for the bowling alley, I decided to pass. I chased the other motorcyclist for a bit until I lost sight of him in a full on sleet storm. I wouldn't see him again for a few miles after the sleet let up and I hit some wonderful curves. At the junction just before the pass he pulled over and I pulled in behind him. Him name is Bill, he picked up his brand new BMW RS1200 I  Seattle, rode to his mom's in Wisconsin and was now heading back to Alaska. He'd already put 4000+ miles on his bike. With  few extra days to kill, he offered to accompany me to Silverthorn, the next town where I'd agreed to meet up with Albraa and crew. I agreed and just as the snow started we turned onto the highway heading towards Muddy Pass; me in the lead. Having Bill behind me (and chasing him earlier) gave me the courage I needed to keep riding though snow and a second sleet storm. We emerged to sunshine (and roadwork) on the far side of the pass. In Silverthorn, Bill bought me lunch hour at Wendy's while we waited for Albraa.

I had originally thought I would leave my bike in Silverthorn and hitch a ride with the guys to buena Vista; however, after experiencing sleet and snow on the bike, I felt ready to handle anything.  As soon as we hit the interstate, a full on snowstorm forced us into a roadside rest area where we were graciously invited onto the #scootinAmerica chase school bus. Adam Sandorval has been on the road for 18 months, the first 16 were just him, his Harley and his dog, Scooter. Now he aims to break the world record for longest charity ride. The storm passed within a half hour and we were on our way again.  Between us and Buena Vista was an 11000 ft pass and Leadville, the highest town in the US. The drive was beautiful; crisp, but not wet or cold, and in Leadville we stopped for beers at a very eclectic random Irish pub. We made it to our KOA camp-site by 7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment