Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Enroute to Colorado

I've learnt a lot about what I'm capable of riding through I  the last few days. Mainly snow. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I saw my first wildlife before even leaving the yyc city limits. A hawk flew over the calf rope bridge carrying a medium sized fish in its talons.  I had my first hiccup in lefthbridge. I stopped at the Shell for gas, and decided to park and eat my lunch break there. While getting my bike off its centre stand, I promptly dropped it on its right side.  Oops. 2 guys rushed to help me pick it up, so I don't even know if I could do it on my own. Minimal damage and not running issues yet (5 days and 1500km later). My campsite in Lewis and Clark national forest in Montana that first night was great. Right next to a buntings access road, but with little traffic, and it had running water. (aka a river)  I had Kraft dinner, chocolate pudding and a campfire. Then tied all my food and smellies in a tree and hoped the bears wouldn't come nom them. It was  pretty rough sleep that night!

Day 2 I made it to Cody WY. I stared off going to a a all cafe in White Sulfur Springs where I  checked the weather and made the final decision not to go via Yellowstone because of the high pass (~8700ft,this is now a joke, you'll see why soon...) I decided to stay in a hotel because of the tumultuous weather.

Day 3 I headed for Saratoga to stay with an old friend from my NZ exchange days. The ride out of Cody through Windy River Canyon (aptly if not inventively named) was really quite beautiful. After that the ride got arduous. There was a very desolate stretch to Riverton by the end of which I was wet, cold and miserable. I got gas there and hit the interstate only to have the weather get worse. I hung behind a semi going 100km/hr, and very nearly cried tears of joy when it came my turn to exit South towards Saratoga. The ride was pretty though icy hills. I hit town around 7 and had to charge my phone a  little to get Griffins address. Him and his girlfriend Megan made a delicious pizza dinner. we hung out till after dark then headed to the hot springs located right in town they were sweet and nearly boiling. We jumped in the icy river before going home to bed.

Day 4 (arrival in Colorado) entry to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment